Monday, September 26, 2011

FALL is here, Continued

Breeding season will be commencing soon
The first doe to go into the breeding pen will probably be my first doeling of the year CBF AGI Wish Upon A Star.  This is the first daughter of Intrigue's born here and I am super excited to see what she will do.  
The most exciting thing for me is that we are breeding her to an outside buck who I think will be a fantastic match. IF her udder is what it could be, we are looking at keeping a buck out of this match. 
Nizhoni's owns this boy, Desert Nanny BF Blue Sunfire.
I have had my eye on him for about a year now and while Im not fond of his color, I am fond of the udders he's throwing and his littermate sister Desert Nanny BF Blue Sunsprite is an amazing doe. 
Along with her, Tirzah has a date scheduled with our own buck MCH Lost Valley ML Asher. 
Asher finished in AGS this year, classified at 87.9 Very Good and 
I think will be a great match for her.  She is a good solid overall doe who has earned a 
grand-champion title, reserve champion, Best Udder and Classified at 90.9 Excellent. 
Asher has what I think she's lacking - uphillness.  She has what Asher lacks - a nice rump. I hope this combo produces corrections in those areas. 
Next on the docket is Stars - my beautiful Black and White Blue eyed doe from two years ago and dam to 
Wishes.  Because we like the cross so much (so did several other folks) we are looking at repeating the breeding.  So Stars will go to Intrigue in a few months. A doe from this cross is already reserved. 
At the same time as Stars we will be breeding a new little lady to our herd.  
Last Straw Chattahoochi.  She is also an Intrigue daughter who is joining our herd due to her owners downsizing.  She is one of the 3 daughters Intrigue had this year - the last is owned by Crazy Wisdom Dairy
Taking this doe allows me to see how 2 of Intrigue's daughter mature and freshen this coming year before I make the mistake of selling the best buck I've ever owned.  
I am debating whether or not to throw Ammi back in with a buck at this point in time or sell her as a show goat.  She has a beautiful udder, nice build but I have a hard time milking her due to small teats.....
Decisions, decisions.  
I will not be breeding Lisianthus or Marina this year but holding them out until spring to kid in September. 

1 comment:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Sounds like it's going to be a busy and exciting Spring!

I've still not bred my little Mini-Mancha doe. I can't find any local registered 2nd generation Mini-Mancha bucks to breed her to.